Sunday, December 24, 2017

Lazy Golumki, Golabki, Golumpki or Galumpki. Its Good No Matter How You Spell It!


I love Polish foods. We ate a lot of it growing up. However, I have not really learned how to cook it much myself. So I'm starting with an easy recipe. Lazy Golumki... or Golabki or Galumpki. No matter how you spell it, its delicious. If you don't want to take the time to make the yummy little cabbage rolls, then this is for you.

Lazy Golumki...the recipe

1 lb hamburger
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion diced
1/2 of a head of cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup of rice
1 quart tomato juice or V8 juice
Salt and pepper to taste

First, prep the cabbage. I took off 3 or 4 leafs from the head until I got to a nice clean part of the cabbage. Cut it in half and in half again.


Cut out the center part of the cabbage. I took my knife and on a diagonal cut the heart of the cabbage out and threw it away.


On the cut side of the cabbage, slice the quartered head to make shreds of cabbage. Repeat until you have sliced both sections of cabbage. Rinse with water and set aside.


Next, dice your onion. However since I am making Lazy Golumkis, I substituted 1/2 cup of frozen diced onions instead. It isn't called Lazy Golumkis for nothing.


Warm a large skillet pan over medium heat. Add your hamburger (since my local grocery store has been having great deals on Ground Bison, I used that in my recipe). Break up the meat into small crumbles and brown it. It should take about 5-8 minutes.


Drain the fat from the meat. I put a bowl under a colander, poured the meat in the colander and let the fat drain in the bowl below.


While the meat is draining, lower the heat to medium/low. In the same pan (don't rinse out, use as is to keep any flavors or small bits of meat), melt the butter.


Add the onions and cook until they are translucent. Be careful not to brown or caramelize the onion. They will be cooking more so you just need them translucent. Please note since you didn't rinse out the pan, the onions may appear a little brown from the leftover meat which is fine. Just don't brown them.


Combine the meat with onions.


Measure a 1/2 cup of rice (I used brown rice which takes longer to cook) and stir it in with the meat and onion combination.


Pour in enough juice to cover the ingredients.

 

Mix in the cabbage.


Cook and stir occasionally. The juice will cook down so you will add more while cooking. If you run out of juice, add water until until the cabbage is tender and the rice is done. Since I used brown rice in my recipe, it took a little over an hour for this to be ready.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Since most tomato juices have salt in them already, taste your food before adding more salt.

I served my Lazy Golumki with a slice of buttered bread.


This makes about 4 servings.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I just made this again this week. It is the perfect meal on a cold day. Mashed potatoes are a great side with this dish. L.K.

    ReplyDelete